Wednesday, 24 September 2008

Basic Grey Challenge No 3



This week the basic grey challenges blogspot want to see distressing on projects. The only proviso for this challenge is that at least one element on the card has to be a Basic Grey item.

I just can't seem to get the hang of distressing no matter what I do. Everything ends up being over-distressed. But, that wasn't going to put me off so I had a go at this week's challenge. Last night I thought I had over-distressed this card (again) but I'm actually really pleased with the way it looks in daylight.

Basic Grey elements used: Two Scoops 6x6 paper and Two Scoops Heart Smudge clear stamps.
The image used in my card was gifted to me by my new friend Pauline so I don't know the name of it, and it was coloured with watercolour pencils and Sakura Stardust blue on the butterfly. (Have a look at Pauline's site as she has some wonderful cards on there.)

To make this card you will need:

Two Scoops 6x6 paper, DCWV Wedding Stack paper, Silver paper, white pearlised vellum, small piece of white paper, stamped and coloured image.

Two Scoops heart smudge clear stamps, clear embossing powder, whispers brush strokes pen, Ink it up! ink, Tea dye distressing ink.

Seed pearls beads, pearlised hearts, Prima flower and leaves, pearlised circle confetti, silver brad.

Tools: DST, Glue, Scissors, Cocktail stick, ruler, heat embossing tool, Acrylic block.

Instructions.
1. On a card blank measuring 15cm by 20cm, mat a piece of silver paper measuring 14.5cm by 19.5cm. On top of this add some Wedding Stack paper (grey stripe) measuring 14 cm by 19 cm that has already been softly distressed by lightly inking the paper edges with a sponge containing distress ink.

2. Take a pale pink piece of Basic Grey Two Scoops paper measuring 12cm by 17cm and distress it. The best tutorial I have found on distressing is on the Me and L'il G site here. Cut a piece of Basic Grey Two Scoops heart smudge paper to measure 8.5cm by 15cm. Only distress this by inking the edges - don't tear it. Draw on some faux stitching with a whispers brush stokes pen. Attach these two papers on top of the grey stripe paper as in my photo.

3. Cut a piece of white pearlised vellum so that it is 0.5 cm bigger in length and width than your coloured image. Cut a piece of silver paper 0.5cm bigger in length and width than the pearlised vellum. Mat the coloured image onto the vellum and then onto the silver paper. Attach these onto your card.

4. Ink up one of the clear stamps using a deep pinky/red colour and randomly stamp onto your card. Be sure to cover part of the image and go over onto the other papers. It doesn't matter if you smudge or miss tiny bits of the stamp because that just adds to the distressed look. Stamp the sentiment onto some white paper, and while the ink is still wet, heat emboss it with clear embossing powder. Cut the sentiment out using a punch (I did it freehand) and mat it onto a silver paper circle that is 0.5cm larger. Stick the sentiment onto your card.

5. Finally place 4 pearlised confetti circles onto a silver brad and place these onto a prima flower. Stick the flower to your card. Stick 2 prima leaves onto the card so that the ends are tucked under the flower petals. Randomly glue seed pearls onto the plain pink paper. Glue 3 pearlised hearts into the remaining 3 corners.

Well - did I get the distressed look about right this time? Thanks for looking.

Sharon

14 comments:

Rach said...

oh wow fabulous distressed card..i wish i could get my distressed edges to look as good. love the sweet image you have used and the swirl stamp...looks wonderful. hugs rachxx

Paula said...

cute card.

Pauline C said...

Wow - this is so intricate it's beautiful!! Thanks for using my stamped image :-) It is a PB and is called "Embrace". Bizarrely I ahve just bought the "Two Scoops" paper pack but not used it yet, and have also been thinking about some BG swirly stamps ..... I feel v inclined to get some seeing your results. may I ask where you got the BG stamps from?
Hugs
Pauline x

Anne's Cards said...

Cute card,lovely colors!

Beryl (bik59) said...

Great card, I can't do distressing either. Many thanks for the comment you made on my blog
Beryl x

Martine said...

gorgeous card sharon, you have distressed this card beautifully and the image is soo cute, thanks for taking part in this weeks challenge :)


xx

martine

Rachel said...

This is a beautiful card! I think you did a great distressing job.

craftyb said...

Yes...definitely!! I think your distressing is perfect!! We always seem to be very hard on ourselves about our creations...I'm sure your past distressed creations are just great! I love this card! bx

joey said...

oooooh i love what you have done here! beautiful card.x

nessy said...

wonderful distressed card ~lovely papers and just love that elephant!!
vanessa xx

Kathleen said...

This is a lovely card. You really have got the hang of distressing.
Kathleen xx

Debbie said...

Wow I love your distressing. Not over done at all. It's just perfect. Thanks for joining in this weeks challenge.

Love Debbie xx

Boots the Monkey (Jo) said...

This is lovely. Thank you so much for joining us in our challenge this week.

Jo x

Rica said...

This is superb, Sharon - I love it.
Beautifully done and your blog is coming on great.
Your tutorials are really well done and clear to follow - brilliant.
Hugs Heather xxx

Slideshow