Tuesday, 16 September 2008

Colour The Dots

Before I was a project manager I spent many years working as a business analyst. I'm not sure whether I am just naturally analytical, or whether the training I had from those days has stayed with me, because I often find that the things I face in life need a different approach. The staple of a business analyst is to always be thinking "How else can this be done?" or "How can this be completed differently?" As an analyst you learn many techniques to help improve the way processes work and I've found that I'm now starting to apply some of those techniques in my card making.


I like the look of some of the cards that I've seen where the card maker has sanded the paper down. So, I started thinking about sanding paper and how it removes the top coat to reveal a different colour underneath. Now, like most card makers, I don't have enough card or papers to satisfy me and I certainly don't own anything that would work with this sanding technique. So - out popped the analyst. "What can I do different?" I asked myself, and I came up with "Why not raise the paper and add colour instead?"


Once all my embossing stencils filled the desk and none of them seemed appropriate, I thought about a couple of cuttlebug folders I bought. Swiss dots! Perfect. Add colour to the dots and you've got it. Now, I don't own a cuttlebug so being the creative (or is that resourceful?) person I am, I just get out my rolling pin and use that on my kitchen work surface with the cuttlebug folders. It works a treat on paper.

Then it came to adding colour. I didn't want to chalk the dots because:

a) I wanted a really bold coloured card and

b) I've seen a lot of people use pastel chalks with the stylised flower folder.

Bold it is then - Whispers brush strokes coloured the dots. Now, as well as texture, the dots have strong colour too.


This is the card that I made.




With a different tag i.e. one without a flower, I think this card would be appropriate for a man too. Well, it's certainly different from yesterday's card, but I like the effect.



Items used:

White Card Blank, Black Card
Red and White Paper
Swiss Dots and Stylised Flowers Cuttlebug Folders
Red and Black Whispers Brush Strokes Pens
Red and Black Organza Ribbon, Red and Black Textured Ribbon, Black and White Spot Ribbon
Black Flower Peel-off
Silver Stick-On Gems
White Fancy Eyelet
And of course, a trusty cutter, scissors and dst.


Till tomorrow....

Sharon

2 comments:

Pauline C said...

Funky card Sharon!! You could also try Core-dination card for sanding ... I bought a sheet last week and it's really good!
Pauline x

Crafty Wanderings said...

WOW! I love it - amazing! Love the colours and layout. Will have to give this a go!
Thanks for the inspiration!
Ruth xx

Slideshow