Saturday, 6 December 2008

A Large Sad Card

Firstly, I don't claim the front of this card as all my own. I saw something similar made by Legionette on the DoCrafts forum and it touched me so deeply that I knew one day I would need to used it. The photograph and verse on the front of the card are the same ones as used by Legionette.


The sad occasion behind this card is that my husband's Inspector's little girl, aged 7, died this week after being suddenly taken ill last Sunday. My husband volunteered my services to make a personalised, very large sympathy card that the whole station could sign. This card is enormous - it is 12 inches by 17 inches and is the largest item I have ever made. It was so big that I had to make a box to put it in as I couldn't find any paper large enough to make an envelope.
The photographs have both been downloaded from the web and printed onto glossy photo paper. The verse on the front reads:

A butterfly lights beside us like a sunbeam,
and for a brief moment its glory and beauty
belong to our world.
But then it flies on again and though we wish it
could have stayed,
we feel lucky to have seen it.

Isn't that beautiful? I have no idea where the verse comes from and I would love to acknowledge the person who wrote this, so if anyone knows please tell me in a comment.

The inside verse is one my husband found and we have personalised it with the little girl's name. That one reads:
Katie was so very, very special
And was so from the start
You held her in your arms
But mainly in your heart

And like a single drop of rain
That on still waters fall,
Her life did ripples make
And touched the lives of all.

She’s gone to play with angels
In heaven up above
So keep your special memories
And treasure them with love.

Although your darling Katie
Was with you just a while
She’ll live on in your hearts
With a sweet remembered smile
.

I will update this post when my husband gets home this evening so that I can let you know who to acknowledge with that verse too.
The metal butterfly on the front is by Meridian Import Company (Mic).
Everything has been matted onto black and then silver mirror card.
The organza ribbon is from Creative Crafts.
A sad occasion, but this card is really beautiful so thanks to everyone for all the inspiration.



9 comments:

Oma said...

What a beautiful card! I'm sure Katie's parents will treasure it always.

Helen said...

It's a beautiful card Sharon, I'm sure Katie's parents will really appreciate it.
Helen x

Paula said...

Oh Sharon This is so beautiful and the words are so lovely im sure Katies parents will appreciate and tresure it.
Paula xxxx

Tara said...

So, so sad Sharon, this is tragic beyond belief and my heart goes out to the family. You have made a very beautiful card which must have been very hard to do on this occasion! xx

gina g said...

How very very sad such a terrible loss for her family.Beautiful card Sharon for such a sad occasion. gina xx

Heather "Hev" said...

Beautiful card which sadly you shouldnt have had to make.
But a lovely way of letting the family know people are thinking of them.

6 wacky women said...

Beautiful card and verse, Sharon. So kind of you to make this card for the family. My heart aches for them.

Karen x

Claire said...

So sad a reason to make a card but you have made one which is beautiful and sums up everything you can possibly say at a time like that. Gorgeous verses.

Claire

Kirsten said...

My deepest sympathies to Katie's family. You made a beautiful card Sharon & the verses are very moving. Kirsten.

Slideshow