Sunday, 18 January 2009

Friday Sketchers 35 with a freebie

I've actually used a freebie from a magazine to make this card. I couldn't resist these little birds (free stamp from a set in February's Cardmaking and Papercraft). Normally the freebies end up being put in a draw somewhere and very rarely see the light of day - but I know I'll be keeping this set handy.

The layout is taken from an incredible sketch by the talented Murmur which is used for this weeks Friday Sketcher's challenge. It was a dream to use. I did have difficulty deciding whether to stamp the swirly bit, or to use a die cut, well, you can see which one won that decision.

I tried an angled shot to see if I have got the knack of showing the layers yet. Oh dear - I must try harder with those shots.

This does look a bit garish. It is bright in real life, but not quite as bright as the photos make it look here.
And the inside is finished off by masking half the stamp so that I only had one of the birds with ink on it.

Ingredients:
Papers: Basic Grey Sultry and DCWV Blossoms and Butterflies
Black and White Card
Pebbles Inc ribbon
Prima 'got flower' and making memories mini blossoms.
Sizzix Scribbles Swirls
WOJ sentiment

Freebie stamp from Cardmaking and Papercraft Feb 2009
Pearls, feathers and brads from my stash


18 comments:

Lorraine Robertson said...

Oh honey I don't think it looks garish at all... I love it....

Hugs
Lorraine xxx

Helen said...

Fab card! Love the tail-feathers!
Helen x

Scrapmumur said...

This is absolutely gorgeous, Sharon!
I love your composition.
Fantastic colours and details.
Marvellous scene!
You have interpreted my sketch beautifully and I am very happy.
Thanks for your participation FS.
Hugs Mumur

Donalda said...

Oh hon this is just gorgeous and your freebie stamp is just adorable dear. I so love the colors you have used hon such a beautiful card dear

Tracey said...

Gorgeous card Sharon. These stamps are lovely aren't they I can't wait to have a go with mine :o)

Hugs
Tracey
x

cats whiskers said...

This is just adorable I love those cute birdies and what fabulous colours you have used, I love the feathers very romantic
Hugs Jacqui x

Bev said...

Oh this is stunning Sharon - those birdies were freebies??!! They are so cute. I love how you have decorated the inside complete with the little bird in the corner.

hugs Bev x

Maggie Bob said...

I've got those stamps too, and I'm yet to use them (though like you I wwas quite impressed with the quality of a freebie, and have loads of ideas for them).

This is a fab card, I like the decoration on the inside too!

nessy said...

stunning card sharon ~both inside and out! great gift ~like you said usually they are never used!!
vanessa xx

Donna said...

Oh Sharon, I love this, I now present you with my card of the day award lol. (just made that up but if i had one it would go to you for this fab card lol) Love the feathers. Have to buy this mag now, your going to cost me a fortune. Enjoy the rest of your day. Donna x

CraftyC said...

What a beautiful card Sharon. I also have that free stamp set and have already used the heart from it. Like you, I normally put the freebies aside but these stamps are great!
Clairex

Cathy said...

Gorgeous card - love the colour combo and those cute little birds, and fab as they were FREE! Great inside too.
Hugs
Cathy xx

Pauline C said...

Sharon this is adorable .... i too got that free set yesterday and used the swirl already - it's a v good freebie. I have been wondering what to do with those little birdies and love your interpretation with the feathers - how cute!!
Pauline x

Suzanne said...

Love the Pink & Black and the wonderful feathers on the Birdies tails!

Suze x

Tara said...

Wow, Wow, Wow! I think this is adorable, whoever you give it to will be so pleased I'm sure! Cerise and black is a winning combo and you were so right to use that stamp, I know what you mean, most freebies get chucked in a drawer somewhere! The swirls and pearls (hey that rhymes, lol) finish the card off perfectly, a real treat to see! xx

aardvarkpest said...

Stunning card. Love the little birdies and the pink and black.

carlzcardz said...

Beautiful card sharon!! how do you do your copyright thing over ur cards its all fancy lol xxx

COCO said...

oh very nice card !!!!
hugs coco

Slideshow