Monday, 2 February 2009

Flower Basket - Charisma DT Project

As promised yesterday, here is the item that I've created for Carly's challenge. Each month she will set her Charisma Cardz design team a challenge - and as I'm guest designer this month I got to join in. The brief was:

Make anything you like! I'd like to see lots of flowers!!!


Well - lots of flowers she has got!

This is made from a plastic vending machine cup and half a polystyrene egg. The idea came to me when I visited Karen's blog. She has the most amazing cupcake on there - you must go see it. After I'd picked my jaw up off the floor, I thought about how I could use the idea and adding my own twist, turn it into a basket of flowers.


I did all the weaving on the base myself using that bargain suede fly curtain I'd bought (just to use the suede on cards). I hadn't done any weaving since schooldays but it was amazing how quickly it all came back to me.
Ingredients:
Plastic cup trimmed down to match the size of the egg
Half a polystyrene egg, layer it onto a circle of card and create a hinge with another piece of card half sandwiched between the egg and the circle. Attach the other half of the hinge to the plastic cup.
A kings ransom in flowers, layer up the flowers, push a paper flower on wire into the middle, twist the wire behind the layered flower so that they don't slide down the stalks, and poke the wire into the polystyrene egg.
Leone Em leaf punches (ash branch and rock fern used)
Suede strips woven around the outside of the cup.
Paper - placed around the inside of the cup. I didn't do this bit very well, next time I may use tissue, crepe, or some other thin paper (I don't have any of that at the moment). It might look better with a ring of card to form a lip over the edge.
Sweeties of your choice
Sharon xx

12 comments:

carlzcardz said...

Wow wow wow wow wow! im still on the floor sharon!!! xxxx

Nicola said...

Wow you sure set yourself some task here Sharon!!! This is simply stunning and I am in awe at your talent. Your basket is gorgeous and those flowers . . . well they are simply breathtaking. -x-

Love to Doodle! said...

Oh wow Sharon - this is absolutely fabulous!....and I had to just pop over to the cupcake too. Both stunning and very clever creations...something else on my list to make! Although, perhaps I should leave to the experts! xx

6 wacky women said...

OMG.....sheer genius, girlfriend!!
What a fabulous work of art. Your flowers are absolutley stunning...and to know you wove the basket, WOW. I LOVE your twist to my cupcake.
WTG Sharon....you rock!!

Karen x

Rach said...

wow this is awesome what a fabulous project...looks wonderful. hugs rachxx

Kirsten said...

Amazing! I am so impressed, it is gorgeous. Kirsten x.

gina g said...

oh yummy its fab Sharon very pretty. luv gina xx

Bev said...

Sharon this is such a fantastic project sweetie - wow so much work. Love those flowers - they are stunning

hugs BEv x

Heather "Hev" said...

OMG!!! This is a masterpiece!!!

BRAVO!!!

cats whiskers said...

What an amazing project hun this is just fantastic you are so clever, I would never be able to do anything like this just adorable going to go and have another look
Big Hugs Dear
Jacqi x

Karen said...

Sharon, this is amazing - absolutely gorgeous.

Karen x

Daisychain said...

Absolutely stunningingly gorgeous!

Slideshow