Saturday, 21 February 2009

Oriental Screen

Okay, first of all ...... No I haven't made a card for myself. I have a friend with the same name as me, it can get a bit confusing when one of our DHs says our name when we're together - we never know which one of us they are speaking to! Anyway, and it's her birthday today, so we're all having a lovely, yummy Chinese meal tonight. How perfect that this week's challenge over at One Stop Craft Challenge has the theme:

Oriental

It is not often that I am lucky enough to be able to combine one of my DT cards with an occasion that I need to make a card for almost immediately. I thought I'd try something different again and this card was all based around the beautiful Kanban Serenity Vellum that I had in my stash. I thought it would be lovely to make an oriental screen with it. Of course, it being vellum, there was nowhere for a message from me so I added a couple of tags (they are not quite so bright IRL).

I really did struggle with this card. I made the black frame, attached the vellum, then sat back and thought...What on earth am I going to do now to embellish it? My house was a bomb site for a couple of days as ribbons, flowers and gems were scattered everywhere. I made tiny fans, I stamped water lilys and chrysanthemums but nothing looked right. I finally settled on the Chinese writing (printed from my PC and cut out) and decided it didn't need much else, so metal butterflies and a few peel-offs (not used those in a while) are all I added as an extra embellishment.

I took this picture to try to show what it looks like with light shining through the vellum. This really doesn't show it in all its glory - I think it looks so pretty with light behind it but that is so hard to capture on camera. I think that it would look lovely folded into a square (like a tall box) with a tea light in the middle - as long as someone was watching it so that it wasn't a fire hazard.

Ingredients:
Black Card
Kanban Serenity Vellum
'With Love' Sentiment from
Kanban Serenity Toppers Sheet Metal Butterflies
Silver/Grey eyelets
Tags created from Lilac glitter card and green card
Corner peel-offs

10 comments:

Pauline C said...

Very pretty and unusual Sharon - love it! Hope you ahve a great time this evening for your friend's birthday
Pauline x

Riet said...

woww Sharon,what a gorgeous card.

have a nice weekend.
hugs Riet.xx

Georgia said...

Wow, this is so pretty Sharon! I love the little butterflies!
Love, Georgia xx

Faye said...

Sharon, how very awesome this screen is. You could, as you say, make it into a square and it could be a lamp! What a wonderful and beautiful gift for your friend Sharon. She will certainly be pleased.

PatR said...

Lovely card Sharon, worth all the hard work and mess! LOL

Tasha said...

This is such an awesome card - its gorgeous and i love its so unique
love tasha xx

Tara said...

Wowee! I can see why you found this so hard Sharon, you tackle the most difficult projects. Well worth all that effort though, this one looks amazing! xx

Heather "Hev" said...

Your are clever you know!!

Stunning!

6 wacky women said...

Awesome, Sharon.
This screen is just amazing, so beautiful!!
Wow, I absolutley love it.

Karen x

Nicola said...

Wow this is stunning, bet Sharon loved it. Your vellum is gorgeous and what a lot of painstaking work cutting out all the letters, love the butterflies. -x-

Slideshow