Thursday, 8 October 2009

Weaving a Card

Will I never learn? Why is it that I always have to take the hard route? Why can't I just ignore those little light-bulb moments and just make a card?
Is there anyone else out there like that?

It's Colour Create day today and our talented Janiel has provided an incredible colour scheme for us: Red, Yellow, Black and White with the optional extras of checks and flower. Just look at the checks on that picture!
That just screams out 'Grand Prix' to me.

So off I toddle with my light bulb idea of weaving a card from strips of black and white paper. (Yes, I can hear you all now muttering "Is she for real???"). Well, I thought it would look like the checkered flag they use in the Grand Prix.

Here's the start. Looking good so far....
I think you get the jist of how it was made from that picture.

This is my fantastic card blank made from the woven strips. And yes, it's just how I imagined it would be - just like a flag.

Then the light bulb went out with a 'ping' as I realised that I just don't have a racing car image - or anything remotely like it. And how could I incorporate flowers into a boys racing car card anyway?


So after a quick re-think and finding this sassy image (thanks Gina!) I set about colouring her up and my card ended up like this:


Well, it makes a change from some of the pretty cards I've been making recently. And it hasn't put me off trying this again (when I have the right image to use on it!)

I hope you'll join us this week because our very own Chris is sponsoring the challenge and she's generously giving the winners choice of 6 images from her digi shop.


As always there is a wonderful variety of inspiration from the rest of the designers on the challenge blog. Please take a look.

Thanks for looking.

Sharon xx

25 comments:

Di said...

Awesome Sharon! just love that weaving! your very patient, love the image and your colouring of her is fabulous her hair and coat! just great! love this card!

many hugs Di xxx

Wilma said...

Love your paper-weaving Sharon. Makes a fantastic card and i love the image - where did you get it?

Kat said...

So it's not just me that ends up with a different card to the one I was going to make! Great card though Sharon. Just realised there was the option of checks and flowers when I read your post lol!

Kat x

craftykitten said...

Wow Sharon,
What a striking card. I'm glad you didn't have a car image to make it into a boys card this is just stunning. Well done you.
Hugz
Dawn xx

nessy said...

stunning card ~beautifully made sharon!!
vanessa xx

6 wacky women said...

Fabulous card, Sharon.
Love your woven card, the image is awesome...fabulous colouring and details.

Karen x

Jo (Boots the Monkey) said...

hehehehe you made me laugh ! I contemplated weaving the background to my card too but gave up ! Well done for seeing it through, it certainly looks striking.

Gorgeous card, love the image you have used and your colouring is perfect.

Hugs,

Jo x

Nicola said...

I know where you´re coming from Sharon rofl
This is gorgeous sweetie, your paper weaving is striking and your image divine.
Hugs,
Nicola -x-

scrappyjan said...

Oh Sharon your post really put a smile on my face. You are so funny and cute!! I love your card and all of the thought and work you put into it!! BEAUTIFUL!!!!
The only time I think that I weave paper is at Easter when I do Easter baskets on my cards and layouts.
Have a great day...
janiel

Heather "Hev" said...

I have done something similar only the weaving was across the front - but then when I out the image on it sort of took have the checks away anyway :lol:

Very effective card - result is stunning :)

bluepoohbear75 said...

Great card. I'm not sure I could be that patient, but it looks good. TFS

Paula said...

No Sharon you know your not the only one who has these light bulb moments lol lol. This card is stunning love the weaving idea and the image and colours are fab.
Paula xxxx

Vicki (basement stamper) said...

Holy Cow Sharon!! The paper weaving is so awesome!! Brilliant design hun!! HUGS

Kim Piggott said...

Wow so amazing Sharon!
hugs
kim x

Cheryl said...

another brilliant design and love that paper weaving gosh you are so patient brilliant card love cheryl xxxxx

Rica said...

Hi Shaton - this is one truly fabulous card. Fantastic weaving, I always get tied in knots doing this. Fantastic image and your colouring is sensational - love it.
hugs Heather xx

Deanne said...

You are nuts! WOW! That woven paper is really something! It looks amazing! That image is awesome! What a fantastic card!

Fantastic work Sharon!
xx-Deanne

Tova said...

Lovely card and fabulous background !

Georgia said...

Oh wow, this is so clever Sharon! I love the effect! I also love your layout and the image is fab! Have a nice weekend. :)
Love, Georgia xx

Ewelina said...

O wow- great.

Debs said...

Well I think the image is perfect for this card. It is so striking with the colours you have used. Debs xx

Jackie said...

Perfect!!

Samantha said...

Flipping Heck SHARON that is amazing! totally brilliant! I love it! wow! :0)

Chris said...

Fantastic card Sharon, the paper weaving is stunning, I just love everything about this card! Thank you so much for your sweet words and links to me here and on the challenge blog, they're so much appreciated. Hugs, Chris xx

KarenB said...

This looks amazing!! (Even if you experienced that 'What was I thinking?' moment, LOL!) Well worth the time and effort.

Slideshow