Friday, 5 February 2010

A Non-traditional Valentine

When I was at school (oh that was SUCH a long time ago), I remember my Art teacher telling me that I was completely scared of colour. I know I did like black and white or pencil drawings at the time so most of my art work did consist of that. I have to laugh about it now. Looking back over the cards I've posted to my blog, he could hardly say the same thing about me now. My goodness - the crazy colour combinations I've used, and most of the time the bolder the colour the more I want to use it!


Today is a bold colour day!




The challenge at Frosted Designs this week is to make a Valentine card without using pink or red.
I'm also entering this card into the following challenges (in alphabetical order):
ABC Challenge - N is for New (The base yellow card is new - and so is the PB sentiment stamp)
Charisma Cardz Challenge - I Love You
C.R.A.F.T. - Valentines or Love
The Corrosive Challenge - All you need is love
Pile it on - enough of winter colours
Polka Doodles Challenge - Non Traditional Valentine
For my DT card I've gone for a really dramatic colour combo of BRIGHT yellow and black. This card was actually inspired by one I made in blue a few weeks ago. I wanted to see what would happen if I used the same elements, a different colour and rearranged things a bit. This is the result, and I actually like it.


Item s Used:
Background paper made using Hampton Art Love Fluff Large, The heart stamp from the 6 free spring stamps with Card Making and Paper Craft Magazine (last year), Basic Grey Love Swirl
Main heart image: Stampendous Ornate Heart
Sentiment: Penny Black Reward of Love
Disco Black embossing powder
Mustard Seed Distress ink
McGill Pine Branch punch
Hobbycraft Raffia Ribbon
Pearls, Button and Ribbon from my stash.

I can't wait to see how creative the talented Frosted Design girls have been with this challenge. Do take a look at their work and I hope we'll see you joining in the challenge.

Thanks for looking,
Sharon xx

36 comments:

LINANNA DESIGNS said...

Good morning sharon, wow hunny it may be a non traditional valentines card but still its totally stunning! love the colours and all that added detail. Fabulous work, hope your well hunny and the family are all okay. Thank you for joining in with the CCC challenge this week Linda x

Kim Piggott said...

Oh Sharon this is so fabulous!
Thank you for bringing the sunshine into my home!
hugs
kim x

debby4000 said...

Gorgeous Valentine card, love the non-traditional colours.
luv
Debby

Biscuitlid said...

oooh I do like this Sharon, that main heart stamp is just gorgeous, don't know about you wanting to go shopping when you visit my blog but I can feel my cc calling now!!!

Fab to see you at Creative Card Crew this week (!!)
Hugs
Victoria
x

Deb said...

you are certainly daring with colour now hun, and does it pay off? it is stunning, I would never have thought of those colours but they look amazing! have a great weekend, hugs Debx

Julie M said...

Wow, Sharon, this is fab. I love it. The black against the yellow is so strong and effective. Wonderful work.

Thanks for joining us on PaperPlay this week.

Julie :o)

*Vicki* said...

Sharon, this is STUNNING!! I love the colors you've used and the images are beautiful!! HUGS

Pauline C said...

Wow Sharon this is totally stunning hun - would never have thought of this colour scheme but it really rocks .. and the stamps and details are fab!! Thanks for joining in this week's CCC Challenge
pauline x

Helen said...

Beautiful card Sharon - love the colour combo!
Thanks for joining us at the SCSC and ABC Challenge!
Helen x

Chrissie said...

Absolutely stunning Sharon, as usual!
There's an award for you on my blog!
Chrissie

CraftyC said...

Wow Sharon what a fantastic card. The colours really work. Thanks for taking part in the LOTV Challenge
Clairex

Eiglas said...

Gorgeous dramatic card!
Thank you for coming over to play at C.R.A.F.T!
Hugs,
Eiglas
x

Cheryl said...

wow sharon hun these colurs are just fantastic stunning detail wow hugs cheryl xxxx

Mel X said...

Wow, stunning colour combi and fabulous layout. Great card

Thanks for joining us this week at SCSC

Mel X

sugar n spice said...

Hi Sharon, Gorgeous card, love the colour combo, and all the detail. Thank you for joining us at C.R.A.F.T. this week, good luck in the draw.
Hugs Suzi x

Steph_C said...

What a fantastic card! I love the bold color choices. Great job combining all of those challenges!

Elena said...

Wow! What a gorgeous card! Really love the colors!
Thank you so much for playing with us this week at La-La Land!

CraftyGirl said...

I love your bold colors! That look fab together!! It makes me feel bright and cheery when I look at it!!
Barb

joey said...

Hiya Sharon

this is like one of my fave colour combos EVER!!! LOL, what a stunning design I absolutely love it

Joey.xxx

Trimgym said...

Lovely card, thank you for joining us at CRAFT Challenge and good luck!

Jo.

Piali said...

Beautiful card!!! love the yellow & black combo. TFS with PIO.
Hugs
Piali.

Kim said...

OMG, I love the dramatic color combo. Your card is gorgeous! Love your sentiment too!
Blessings,
Kim xXx

Audrey said...

What a beautiful Valentine! I love the colors. Thanks for joining us at Pile It On!

Scrubbybubbles(sue) said...

Yanno, I would have never dreamed of using black with yellow for a valentines card and yet it works perfectly!! this is so brilliant!

Irina said...

Striking color combo!! Thank you so much for playing along at La-La Land Crafts Weekly Challenge!!
Hugs!!
:) Irina

Hope Jacare said...

Thanks for joining us at Polkadoodles in our non-traditional colours valentine challenge! A fabulous card! Cheers Claire x

Tasha said...

Wow Sharon beautiful card - its so striking - loving the colour combo and the layout is fab
Thank you for joining us at Charisma Cardz
love tasha xx

Kerry said...

Stunning, love the colours you've chosen, your card is so beautiful. Thanks for joining in at Polkadoodles this week.

Hope Jacare said...

What a lovely card! Thanks for playing along at C.R.A.F.T. this week in our Valentine challenge! Cheers Claire x

theneon said...

WoW -- for Non-Traditional -- it is awesome and so refreshing to the eye.

Tip Top said...

Wow! Great colour scheme! Thanks for entering the Polkadoodle Challenge - hope you can join us again next week!

Jane Matsumoto said...

Yeeeeowza! This is stunning! Thank you for joining in on the ♥HEARTS♥ challenge at La-La Land Crafts!

Rose said...

Beautiful card, I love the colour combination! Thanks for joining us at C.R.A.F.T.

Rose xx

Fliss said...

This is really gorgeous and such a lovely colour combo too.
Thanks for joining the Polka Doodle challenge and hope to see you again next time.
x

Maureen said...

So very pretty!! And love the non-traditional colors! Thanks for joining us at La-La's Weekly Wednesday Challenge!

Bev said...

Fabulous card Sharon,the colours are sublime! Thanks so much for joining us at LOTV x

Slideshow