Wednesday, 10 February 2010

The Sweet Shop

Hello my lovelies! How is everyone today? If you're feeling a bit down I hope that my card will bring a little ray of sunshine to you, or a warm glow at least. I'm sure my little mishap will bring a smile to your face - so read on.

Today I'm entering a card into a challenge for the first time. This one is for:

The Sweet Shop - the sketch

I've looked at their challenge for a few weeks now but have struggled to find the time to join in. Not so this week! I just couldn't resist the round shape on the sketch.
Well, I had a laugh with this card. This was one of those rare occasions where everything you pick up works perfectly together and the card turns out just the way you imagined it would. So, after I put it all together, I brought it downstairs to photo but it was impossible to take the picture. Why? It kept rolling over to one side so the image was sideways on! No matter what I did, it wouldn't stand straight.

You see, I just didn't think about how heavy those little pearls would be and what with the ribbon being off centre too....it just wouldn't stand up straight. I had tears of laughter rolling down my face. The poor little owl looked like he'd had one tipple too many!!

I had a brainwave though, and whoever receives this card will be a penny richer. I carefully peeled the image away from the foam pads and after a few tries, I got a penny to stick in just the right place to balance the card!!! Honestly, the things we crafters have to do! So the moral is....if you are making a round card, be sure to think about how your embellishments will balance on the finished item!

I also need to give you a bit of news, seeing as I've used the Whimsy Owl image. Whimsy are using their old challenge blog as an Inspirations Blog for Whimsy stamps. We're kind of under construction at the moment, but the idea is to eventually have a Whimsy creation posted to that blog every single day of the month. There will be projects made by the Whimsy DT as well as by Whimsy customers. We hope that you'll find lots of ideas there.

Another bit of news is that Whimsy stamps are now carrying charms in the shop. So when you head over to purchase your stamps, you can add a few charms to the order too! If the charms sales take off, there could be other embellishments added too.

Items Used:
Image: Whimsy Owl
Papers: Now That's What I Call Funky CD (Funky Hand)

Ribbon: Pebbles Inc
Leaf and flower punches - Woodware
Pearls: Prima e-line and Mark Richards
Leaf stamp: Anitas
Lace from my stash
Distress inks: Black Soot, Peeled Paint, Shabby Shutters, Spiced Marmalade, Tea Dye and Vintage Photo.

Thanks for looking .......... and please pop back tomorrow because I have a surprise for you!
Sharon xx

8 comments:

Cheryl said...

wow hun this is totally stunning love it hugs cheryl xx

Andrea said...

oooh this is a gorgeous card,
love the round shape
and how cute is the owl
love all the embellishments too
hugs andrea

Riet said...

What a gorgeous card Sharon.

Hugs Riet.xx

Crystal said...

AWWW Sharon this is soooo fun, love the round shaped card and your colors and layout is BEAUTIFUL!!!! I just love this owl!! Hugs!

Korin said...

Oh my goodness, what a fun card! I love your DP and that sweet image :). Thank you for using our sketch for your lovely card. I hope you will join us again over at The Sweet Stop!

Hugs,
Korin

stamps&cars said...

Just darling! Love that owl and how you decorated the inside of the card as well. Thanks for playing along with us for the challenge.

Ann - DT for SSSC

CreaRenata said...

Wow, this is gorgeous! What a beautiful colours and the image is way too cute! Thanks for playing at The Sweet Stop, hope to see you again.

Hugs,
Renata

Crafty Engineering said...

Oh this is just so adorable and cute and beautiful at the same time! Great job! I had issues with my card rolling too and I even had some scallops to help stabilize it...great thinking with the penny! Thanks for playing (hope you will join us again) the Sweet Stop Sketch!!

Slideshow