Friday, 5 March 2010

Favourite Technique

UPDATE: You can find the tutorial for the masterboard on my tutorial page. Just click HERE

Well, I'm sorry I didn't post a card yesterday. It's been a busy week again (outside of card making). But I am posting a card today for the Frosted Designs challenge. The theme today is:

Your favourite technique

This is one of those challenges that really sets me a challenge; there are so many techniques that I like to use...so which one do I pick. Oh the choices! ;o) I settled on one that has been a firm favourite with me since I first saw it - The masterboard technique. I love to use masterboards as the background papers to my cards. I've taken photos of how this particular masterboard was created and I'll be posting the tutorial when I get home from work tonight.

I'm also entering this card into the following challenges:

Creative Inspirations - Lace, Pins & Pearls

Simon Says Stamp - Mother's Day / Girly (a pretty, girly card)

Spoonfull of Sugar - Beads




I think this masterboard turned out really feminine, and I'm going to send this card to a colleague who has just undergone some surgery. It'll wish her a speedy recovery.


Items used:
All the stamps and inks will be detailed in the tutorial to come later today.
Prima bling swirls.
Cuttlebug Swiss Dots folder
Grey card stock from the paper mill
Whimsy stamps sentiment
Prima e-line flower
Celebrations organza ribbon
Lace, pearl pins, pearl beading trim and gold/pearl button from my stash.

Please take a look at the favourite techniques of the other fab girls on the Frosted Designs DT. There is so much to inspire you on the blog.
Thanks for looking,
Sharon xx



Here's a tutorial on how I made the masterboard that I used as the backing paper on this card.



Step 1.


I randomly stamped a Tim Holtz paisley stamp onto cream card in versamark ink and then heat embossed with Kaleidoscope embossing powder.





Step 2.


Using a blender, I smudged the card in random blotches with Tattered Rose and Weathered Wood distress ink. The I misted the card with water and waited for it to dry.





Step3.


I took a Papermaina stamp and inked it with Polar Blue versamark ink then stamped randomly on the card.




Step 4.


The final stamp I used was a tiny one from a Laura Ashley set. This was inked in Versamark Orchid and randomly stamped over the card.




Tip: Make sure to stamp over the edge of the card with some of the shapes so that only parts of the stamp are on the card.




The tutorial photos were taken by electric light so the colours are showing up stronger. In daylight this colours are more subtle as you can see in the card.

15 comments:

Riet said...

Wowwww Sharon,what a beautiful card.

Hugs Riet.xx

Mervi said...

Gorgeous! Can't get my eyes off it, lovely lovely lovely...
♥m

Andrea said...

wow , what a beautiful card
hugs andrea

Kim Piggott said...

Oh wow Sharon this is so stunning!
hugs
kim x

Pauline C said...

Wow Sharon that's really gorgeous - love everything about it! Never tired this technique so will look out for your tutuorial :-)
pauline x

Tara said...

This is just gorgeous Sharon and I love the bling you've added..... and of course those beautiful, subtle colours!
Have a lovely weekend ;o)
Hugs Tara xx

Biscuitlid said...

absolutley beautiful Sharon, so so pretty
Hugs
Victoria
x

CraftyGirl said...

Stunning card!! Can't wait to see the tutorial!!
Barb :)

POPPET said...

This is fab, love your use of lace, pins and pearls, great take on challenge 50 at Creative Inspirations, hugs Pops x

Dena said...

Sharon! I'm speechless!!!! This is sensational!!!!! You HAVE to tell me how you did this! What a gorgeous effect and your added embellishments are WOW!!!!
Thanks for joining Simon Says Challenge this week I hope you will join again!
Hugs, Dena

Rufus said...

Will be off to check out the tutorial just as soon as I tell you how GORGEOUS this card is! Whoever is lucky enough to receive it will just LOVE it!
R/

nessy said...

stunning card ~wow!! what a creation ~ beautifully made sharon
vanessa xx

Nicola said...

Holy Moly this is jaw dropping awesome Sharon. Wowee your lace, pins and pearls are fantastic against this background.
Hugs,
Nicola -x-

Viv's Visuals said...

Fabulous card!

NGCARDS said...

This is a gorgeous card! Thanks for joining us this week at Creative Inspirations! xxx

Slideshow