Friday, 23 April 2010

Masked Shabby Vintage

I love making cards for the frosted designs challenge because I can really let myself go and try something completely new or just indulge in pure crafty artiness. Today's card is my first real step into building up a collage and I took photos along the way so that I would remember how I did it.....but they now make a great step by step guide for everyone.

The challenge today at frosted designs is MASKING. I did actually mask a couple of bits on this image which you'll see if you stay with the step by step photo's below. The finished card turned out a lovely cross between Shabby and Vintage and I do like this look.


I'm entering this into the following challenges:

Crafty Creations - Distressing

Just Add Ink - Just Add Vintage

Pixie Dust Studio Pixie Challenge - Tag You're It! (Tiny tag in the top right corner)

Die Cut Dreams - Tear it up (see the newspaper part on the image)


Now to the step-by step. Firstly I took a small piece of glossy paper and glued some newspaper to on corner. When the newspaper was dried I ripped the loose part off so that it left a nice ripped edge for the image.


Next I added a bit of white acrylic paint in the centre and textured it up a bit. When that was dried I sponged China Blue and Scattered Straw distress inks randomly over the card trying to leave a bit of the centre as white.

Now I punched a circle from a post it note and stuck it over the white area to mask it. I added more scattered straw around the circle mask.


Next I took a Tim Holtz mask of some barbed wire and stick that over the card. I added some Vintage photo ink over the whole of the card to blend everything together.


Then I stamped a few random swirls and motifs in Versafine Brown ink - leaving the masks in place


And finally I removed the masks and stamped the Tim Holtz little girl image onto the card in Stayzon. And voila! The image is complete.



All that was left to do was to distress the edges a tiny bit and add it to the card. I hope you found this useful and that it gives you a bit of confidence to try something like this out. I didn't have a clue what I was doing when I started this image....I just kept going until I was happy with the final outcome.


Please hop over to the frosted designs blog to see what other types of masking the DT have done - there's bound to be glimmer mists, ink and paint along with masking template both homemade and purchased, I bet you'll find some inspiration over there.

Thanks for looking,
Sharon xx

17 comments:

Zehavits said...

Wow Gorgeous!!

I love it!!!

Zehavit

Kim Piggott said...

Oh I love your beautiful card!
Stunning Sharon!
hugs
kim x

Riet said...

What a beautiful card Sharon.

Hugs Riet.xx

debby4000 said...

Fabulous card Sharon, love the details.
luv
Debby

Purple said...

This is just stunning! Wow! I am so impressed, and thank you so much for th estep by step tutorial. I don't do vintage well at all - I am always in awe of people who make it look so beautiful and so easy.

Tara said...

This is stunning Sharon and the mix of stamps is totally delish!
Have a fab weekend ;o)
Hugs Tara xx

Karen said...

Oh, really lovely, thanks for joining us at DCD.
xx

Kathleen said...

Oh wow its gorgous. Kathleen x

Judi said...

Wow Sharon, I've been wanting to do something similar to this for a week or two now, but have been a bit unsure where to start. Your tutorial is so straightforward, and I LOVE the finished card.

Hugs - Judi xx

http://judiscraftcorner.blogspot.com/

CraftyGirl said...

Wow.. This is beautiful!! I knew it must have been a lot of work and time... but after looking at all the steps I have a whole new appreciation!! Thanks for showing us!! I might just have to try some of those techniques!! The final product is just gorgeous!!
Barb :)

Mina said...

fantastic tutorial Sharon you make it look as simple as I wish it was lol...I love this card its stunning
Mina xxx

Debbie said...

Simply beautiful! Enjoyed your step by step on your technique!

Rach said...

oh wow Sharon, this is stunning, what a fantastic masterpiece.. thanks for showing how you did the image...you make it look so easy.. but i know that i would get in a right pickle!
xx

Susie Sugar said...

Adorable card great tearing and fab tutorial, thanks for playing our challenge with us at DCD this week please come back soon
Hugs Susie & Vikki xx

Liam said...

This is a beautiful vintage card. Fantastic.

Liam

Biscuitlid said...

this is a real work of art Sharon - i love it and a fab photo tutorial too

Thanks so much for joining us at Die Cut Dreams this week

Hugs
Victoria
x

Magda said...

Woow, beautiful card.
Thanks for joining us at Crafty Creations Challenge.
Magda :)

Slideshow