Friday, 16 April 2010

Playing with a brayer

I've been playing around again. This time I was inspired to pick up my brayer and big and juicy ink pad (which hadn't been used since I bought them last year). It's all thanks to catching the tail end of a program that featured Barbara Grey from Clarity Stamps on Create and Craft TV last weekend. I was amazed at the beautiful things she created. So I took the plunge and for a first go....I'm really pleased with the result. Okay, I know I need practice but it was my first try.



This is my DT card for the Frosted Designs challenge where the theme this week is 'Tree'

I'm entering this into:

Stamping Royalty Challenge - KISS (Keep It Simple Sweetie)

MelJens Designs Challenge - 3d elements (the acetate)

Because I didn't really trust myself to make the foreground without completely messing the image up.....I cheated. I made a raised wrapper for the card with some acetate on which I stamped some bamboo. Well, it does the trick and I really like the extra 3d effect it gives.


Items used:
Stamps: Tree from Kanban Autumn Silhouettes. Bamboo stamp doesn't have a name on it.
Big and Juicy pad: Waterfall
Brayer
Acetate
Airondack Pitch Black ink

Thanks for looking and please take a look at the lovely designs by the rest of the talented DT.
Sharon xx

16 comments:

Biscuitlid said...

this is brilliant Sharon - love the acetate layer - great idea!

Did you roll the brayer over the tree and onto the card to get the reflection image?

Hugs
Victoria
x

Cheryl said...

hun this is brilliant gosh for a first try you did an awesome job really love it and its so effective hugs cheryl xxxx

Anne said...

A beautiful card! I have also tried this tecnique for the first time. Fun!

Hugs, Anne

merniebug said...

Beautiful and elegant. Thanks for playing in Meljen's 3-d challenge this week.

Tara said...

Oh Sharon this is amazing!! It's so good to see something different and I always admire this technique. When I was at the NEC I was really taken by the lady at the Lavinia Stamps stall as she was creating very similar stuff to this!
Well done you!!
Hugs Tara xx

Dena said...

Sharon, it's gorgeous! I used to love my brayer and never use it now. You have inspired me!!! Did you use glossy paper or just regular CS? Beautiful card!!!
Hugs, Dena

Tamie said...

What a stunning card. It is so beautiful. Great job with the brayer, it should really learn how to use mine...WTG.

If you like challenges there is a great color challenge over at http://ppc-challenges.blogspot.com/
we would love it if you would come join us.

Tamie- PPC Creator

Deb said...

just stunning Sharon, I haven't had my clarity stamps out in ages but they are fabulous!have a great weekend, hugs Debx

raindropecho said...

Wow, beautiful card! Really love the effect! Thanks for joining us at Meljen's Designs challenges this week :)
- Ann

Shanda Stirk said...

Wow! Your card is very pretty! This looks like a technique worth trying! Thanks for playing with us at Stampin' Royalty!

Sarah said...

Your first try ........ never - it's ab.fab. -- so effective - look forward to seeing some more. Sarah x

Angela McKay, Stampin' Up Demonstrator, #1 Rising Star Canada 2008/2009 said...

Wow! This is stunning! What an amazing job for a first job... looks more like a pro! Thanks so much for playing with us at Stampin' Royalty!

Sprytebyrd said...

WoW! SO pretty! I love how you've added the 3-D effect! Awesome card!
Thanks so much for joining us at Meljen's Designs!! Good Luck on the challenge!
♥Dee (Spryte)♥

Sarah Newman said...

Beautiful! I love the acetate! Thanks for playing along with us at Stampin' Royalty!

Sandra Farrell said...

Absolutely stunning. Beautiful work. Great card. Thanks for playing with us at Stampin Royalty.

Cheryl said...

This beautiful! Great job with the brayer and the acetate! Thank you for joining us for the Meljen’s Challenge this week

Slideshow