Wednesday, 10 November 2010

A taste of summer

We've had such rotten weather here recently that I thought I cheer myself up by making a really pretty card that has nothing to do with Halloween, fall, winter or Christmas. I've even made a pretty box-velope to go with it.

This is my Pixie Cottage Challenge DT card where the themes this week are a sketch and/or use 2 colours.

I love this new hummingbird stamp by ArTish and even though I've used unusual colours for a hummingbird I tried to capture the iridescent nature of a hummingbird's feathers by adding kaleidoscope embossing powder on the bird after it was coloured. The picture below captures some of the sparkle and shows the difference between the stickles and the subtler sheen of the kaleidoscope embossing powder.



I'm entering this into the following challenges:
Ai Factory - Garden Party (something you'd see in a garden)
S2G TT - giving Thanks
Pixie Dust Studio - Pretty Colours, Pink Blue and Lime Green (couldn't quite get the lime green but you do get a flash in the iridescent embossing)
Crazy 4 Challenges - Make a Square Card
Our Creative Corner - An Air of Gratitude
Sweet Stampin - Photo Inspiration (inspired by the sugary sweet colours)
Top Tip Tuesday - Use an image/sentiment
Drunken Stampers - Punch Me! (MS punch made a border)

This photo shows that I did actually stick to the two colour theme when the light is not catching the sheen on the bird.



I even made my own template for a box-velope (is that what you call them?) and I carried on the theme of my home made background and the floral stamps that I used on the card.



You can purchase the Hummingbird image by clicking HERE. It's image C. I can see this is going to be quite a versatile image to use, for Thank you, Get Well and Birthday cards and it looks so pretty when it is coloured up.

I also used distress inks in Tumbled Glass and Spun Sugar for the background, Stardust Stickles, kaleidoscope embossing powder and a Martha Stewart Punch. The flowers were in my stash so I can't be positive but I think they are Prima.

Please take a look at what the rest of the talented Pixie DT have created this week. There is such a lovely selection of different styles this week.


Thanks for looking,
Sharon xx

13 comments:

Tanya R said...

WOW, this is so soft and pretty on the eyes.
Hugs
Tanya

Suzi said...

I love what you've done to this card Sharon, the colours sparkle and the envelope too. Amazing creation.
Hugs
Suzi x

Dawn said...

This is just so stunning! Love the colors and that image is just precious.
Thank you for joining us this week at
TopTipTuesday
Hope to see you real soon.

Cat said...

What a beautiful card! LOVE the matching envelope! Thanks for joining us at Pixie Dust this week!

Nicecrane Designs said...

Oh my , Oh my this is stunning, I love the hummingbird , the nesties,,and your box-velope is really superb,,,,,a really very weel job here,,,,,applauses,

Denise @ kc242 said...

Sharon, your pixie card this week is stunning! Wow you have shown off this wonderful stamp beautifully!TFS
Denise

Laurel said...

Love your card! Thanks so much for playing at S2G!

Riet said...

What a wonderful card Sharon,I love the image and the colours.
So gorgeous papers.

Hugs Riet.x

♪♫♥ Charity Crafter ♪♫♥ said...

This is absolutely stunning!!! I bet close up it is even more beautiful! x Thanks for joining us this week at TOP TIP TUESDAY x Leigh x

Val said...

This is so beautiful and I really love the irridescence. Thanks so much for sharing and for joining Sweet Stampin this week.
Hugs
Valxx

Vicky said...

WOWWWW......this is totally stunning I love the decorative edge & your background is beautiful. Its all awesome.
Thankyou for joining us at Sweet Stampin this week. Good luck.

Hugs Vicky xx

artish said...

thank you for showing off the little hummer- i had never heard of kaliedoscope powder...hummers will by flapping in line waiting to be colored with it...GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!
the entire project!

coldwaters2 said...

OMG Sharon this is absolutely superb work, the colours, design, flowers and image truly look amazing.
Hugs
Lorraine x

Slideshow